Thursday, January 8, 2015

2014 Music Review, Part 03 (Albums 75-51)


Alright, alright!
Welcome back to my 2014 music review!


Note: If you want to view the rest of my list before moving forward, check these out:
As I continue to count down my choices for top albums, I must remind you that this was a challenging year to narrow down albums. There was so much great music that I struggled to even come up with a comfortable order that I was satisfied with—as recognized by the fact that I was tinkering with my order of this particular section for well over an hour before I started writing the reviews.

And then I tinkered some more.

But tinkering is over! Here are albums 75-51!
Enjoy.


75. Post Tropical, James Vincent McMorrow
Release Date: January 10, 2014

James Vincent McMorrow is a man with a voice that won’t quit. His register is on full display throughout this entire album wrought with upbeat indie pop sensibilities.





74. †††, ††† (Crosses)
Release Date: February 11, 2014

Chino Moreno is a talented man. I have been a Deftones fan for years, and I have indulged in his others side projects, Palms and Team Sleep. His latest project, the alternative rock outlet, Crosses, is an impressive piece of genre experimentation. “This is a Trick” was one of my favorite tracks of the year.



73. Oxymoron, Schoolboy Q
Release Date: February 25, 2014

Schoolboy Q couples unreal flow with infectious beats—this is a dangerous combination. Oxymoron was one of the strongest hip hop albums of the year. Features by Tyler, the Creator and Kendrick Lamar are highlights of the album.




72. Kiasmos, Kiasmos
Release Date: October 27, 2014

Ólafur Arnalds’ 2013 release was my #3 album because of his uncanny ability to compose brilliant neoclassical arrangements. He returned this year with best friend, Janus Rasmussen, to create a dynamic electronically atmospheric album.




71. Amor ad Nauseum, Aan
Release Date: February 04, 2014

The first LP release from this Portland, Oregon funky indie outlet certainly dominated my ears this year. The songs are equals parts groovy, eccentric, and atmospheric. This unique experimental sound is quintessential Portland music right now.




70. NehruvianDOOM, Nehruviandoom
Release Date: October 07, 2014

I never thought I would have a morning hip-hop album. MF Doom and Bishop Nehru collaborated to create a methodical, comfortable, and accessible album that stretches the boundaries of contemporary hip-hop.




69. La Gárgola, Chevelle
Release Date: April 01, 2014

I’ve been a Chevelle fan ever since their first LP, Point #1. I’ve been along for the entire ride and I have yet to be disappointed. The band might be the most mainstream act on my list, but they consistently create tunes that challenge their audience and radio play. I admire their dedication to the evolution of sound.



68. Tracts, Equals
Release Date: April 22, 2014

I appreciate the way Equals presents post rock instrumental tunes because there is a little something for all listeners. They create fun, thought-provoking, and intricate music that begs me to wonder how they haven’t completely taken over the scene.




67. Live from Chicago, Hannibal Burress
Release Date: March 29, 2014

Yes, I’m including a comedy album on this list because last year I missed out when I didn’t list Mike Birbiglia’s My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend. So, if you haven’t listened to Hannibal Burress’ stand up yet—get to it right now! His jokes are better than your tits. Also, Money. Over. Everything.



66. Range of Light, S. Carey
Release Date: April 01, 2014

I finally got to see Sean Carey live this year—I mean, I saw him drum for Bon Iver, but finally got to experience his beautiful music firsthand. This album is one of the most peaceful albums you will hear. If you have had a stressful day, come home and put this album on—it’s a common occurrence for me at least.



65. Black Messiah, D’Angelo & the Vanguard
Release Date: December 15, 2014

D’Angelo surprised the world this year by dropping his first new album in 14 years. The album is an Avant garde mix of hip-hop laced with jazz, funk, and gospel tendencies. D’Angelo is raw and politically charged throughout, making this a vulnerable and important album right now.



64. Muse, Polyphia 
Release Date: September 02, 2014

Some guitar virtuoso music is always great for the soul. After their popular EP gained them some attention in the metal scene, these men took to assembling an LP that would blow people away and they did not disappoint. This album is fun, quirky, and damned impressive.



63. Islands, Bear’s Dean
Release Date: October 20, 2014

This is one of the strongest folk albums of the year. Lots of incredible storytelling and atmospheric instrumentation, coupled with some damn-fine vocals. They recently supported Mumford & Sons on tour, so get ready to experience this band blowing up in the future.



62. A Place of Our Own, Have Mercy
Release Date: October 27, 2014

If you wanna talk about a band that gives its fans some feels, look no further than Have Mercy. I saw them twice this year and each time I witnessed fans having religious experiences in the crowd. This band combines a sound similar to Brand New with the heart of Into It. Over It. This is a solid follow up to their debut LP last year.
Play: “Howl”



61. Struggle Pretty, Penny and Sparrow
Release Date:

These two men have unreal voices. I know everyone was up in arms about Hozier this year—I was not—because these two men and their brand of emotional folk tunes take the cake for me. This album came up during my break up earlier in the year and gave me lots of feels.



60. Rose Ave., You + Me
Release Date: October 14, 2014

This year I learned that Dallas Green (City & Colour/Alexisonfire) is great friend with none other than P!nk. This surprised me a lot. But what surprised me more was that they collaborated on a beautiful album that allows both vocalists to shine and tell some incredible stories.



59. Dream in Tongues, Arms of Tripoli
Release Date: February 21, 2014

There were so many incredible post rock instrumental albums this year. I could’ve made a top 100 list of just THOSE acts. Yet, Arms of Tripoli stood out to me because of their ability to construct a sonically cohesive experience throughout their entire album.




58. 2014 Forest Hills Drive, J. Cole
Release Date: December 09, 2014

I wasn’t too keen on J. Cole’s 2013 album, but he brought a different approach to his late 2014 release. Cole calls out everyone in the hip hop game while spitting fire all over addicting chillstep beats.




57. Here and Nowhere Else, Cloud Nothings
Release Date: April 01, 2014

Art punk continues to evolve as Cloud Nothings present its own manifestation of genre-bending experimentation. It is a strangely accessible release that hits on all of the punk standards while paving its own path. This album will be a genre classic.




56. Tremors, SOHN
Release Date: April 08, 2014

This album stuck with me all year. I came back to it whenever I needed a quick indie hip-hop fix. Tremors is such a smooth and groovy debut album—each listen is so rewarding thanks to the attention to detail of this meticulous British songwriter.




55. Phenomena, Within the Ruins
Release Date: July 22, 2014

With such oversaturation of today’s metal scene making eerily similar tunes, it is nice to hear a band making an effort to evolve the genre into new terrain. Within the Ruins is a band that continuously does this with each release.




54. Saudade, I/O
Release Date: February 14, 2014

Berklee College of Music has a track record of churning out incredible bands. This instrumental post rock band captured my attention after a feature on Arctic Drones and they quickly became the soundtrack to my summer in Baltimore. I’ve since seen them live in their home city of Boston and cannot get enough of their dynamic sound.


53. The Next Four Years, United Nations
Release Date: July 15, 2014

This is one of the most brutal hardcore albums I’ve heard in years. Geoff Rickley and company have completely reinvented not only hardcore but the boundaries of post-hardcore with their willingness to vary time signatures and atmosphere. The social justice messages in this album are empowering and dominant.



52. Lost in the Dream, War on Drugs
Release Date: March 18, 2014

Adam Granduciel has been tinkering and tinkering and with this new album as War on Drugs, he has found the perfect combination of rock experimentation. Lost in the Dream is purely a dreamy and spacious rock album that provides something new on each listen.




51. St. Vincent, St. Vincent
Release Date: February 24, 2014

Oh man, Annie Clark is just incredible. Not only did she stand in for Kurt Cobain during a performance with Nirvana this year, she also released a fearless self-titled album that is another classic album that rocks and grooves like her previous works, while showing her willingness to evolve.




Well, there was the third section of my 2014 music review!
There are only TWO SECTIONS LEFT!

So make sure your stay tuned as the field gets narrowed down even further in the next section of the music. I am eager to write about the top 50 albums of 2014 because there are some incredible tunes to share with you all!


In the meantime, catch up with the previous posts if you need to do so:


No comments:

Post a Comment