Monday, June 23, 2014

[GUEST POST] Seven Ways to Incorporate Technology & Social Media in Student Affairs Grad Programs

Hello again!

Here is another guest post I wrote!
This time I wrote for the NASPA Technology Knowledge community blog.

I have a lot of feelings and ideas about how Student Affairs Graduate Programs can incorporate social media, technology, and blogging into their execution and preparation for fellow graduate students. So here is that post!

I will write my culminating paper/integrative thesis on a topic like this during the next year and I am eager to get into that research.

Click here to access this blog post in its entirety!

- - -

Here is a taste of the blog post!

"In order for us to keep up with our students, who are undoubtedly very well-versed in social media and technology, we need to do the same by incorporating social media outlets and certain forms of technology into our classroom discussions now. This way we can engage in conversations and maintain meaningful interactions with our students beyond simple face to face communication."


"1. Acknowledge Social media as a form of professional development

In order to continue with this list, we must create a lens of viewing some social media outlets as viable forms of professional development. Because the wonderful thing about utilizing social media outlets like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and blogs is that they are essentially free professional development...."


"5. Course blogs

One way of facilitating classroom discussion is through blogging. Instead of discussion boards, which I feel are a bit antiquated, students and faculty should be encouraged to maintain a course blog. These don’t necessarily need to be public, but consistent posts can realistically replace paper assignments for many courses. I look forward to my independent study this fall where my course will be explicitly done through blog posts and a final research paper...."


- - -

I will be back shortly with another post to share with the world!

Stay tuned!

-Craig.

No comments:

Post a Comment